Thursday, November 11, 2010

NaNoWriMo

I signed up for NaNoWriMo this year, despite the fact that I have no time. I've thought about it before only to second guess myself. But, surprisingly, I've stuck with it this time, and a story I've been wanting to tell for sometime is beginning to emerge. In the true spirit of NaNoWriMo, I had no idea what I would write, and then it just happened.

To clarify, I'm no advocate of writing an actual novel in one month. Thirty days time is far too little to create such a multi-faceted piece of art; and I doubt I could share a manuscript that was written in a month. But, this is an excellent way to get a draft: a good, strong start on something that later could be quite great. So this book, which I haven't titled nor desire to, might not be realized for years. But the challenge of testing my limits and pushing myself to write so many words in so little time is nothing short of exhilarating.

I finally see, first hand, why so many people get excited about this event.

4 comments:

  1. I came by to find you on the site to add you as a buddy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your writing, it will be interesting to see what you do with your grandmother's story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love nano ... it's great just to get the story on paper... but because of the rushed time limits ... I have notes all over mine already with things like 'go back and check the name of brother's best friend' 'Who was in the car on the way to...' etc
    Hope you enjoy your month.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The timeframe is not for everyone and November is a crazy month for anyone working in the education sector, but as you say, Nanowrimo is a great way to pin down a draft

    ReplyDelete

Chapbook release

"As our children walked in circles, their children shook their heads and made their way toward another life; new ghosts remained. And w...