Saturday, December 17, 2011

2011 - Rough Writing

It's been an interesting year. Not too prolific on the blog here, I must say, but I've done my fair share of writing. I've pounded out quite a few words over various projects, but unlike other years, when I've found or made the time, 2011 has been a tough year to write. In fact, it proved damn-near impossible.


- June 2011 -
Between a slow-healing hand and wrist injury to a tendon that still lingers to this day if I have pen in hand for too long (typing is far easier, but still with its limits), a robbery, and a bout of unexpected underemployment that lasted right up to September at which point I became hyper-employed (needfully, thankfully) and began a 40hr/week copy editing job on top of teaching, my writing presence (especially online) has been suffering. Yet, I have continued to write. Because no matter the loss of use of a hand or time or resources, we writers write. We're a touch crazy like that--addicted to making the intangible tangible. So, I wrote a sentence here and there. Here's how: I used voice recognition software, I wrote with my left hand, on breaks, in the in-between time, the waiting-in-line time, any time I could for as long as I could. 

Writing is something I always took for granted to be there for me. But after this year's obstacles, I've reevaluated the value of my writing time. I've realized what a luxury it is to write. And though I'm not yet where I'd like to be in the literary world, I've recently remembered why I truly do what I do: I love being part, if in some small way, of the literary conversation that occurs between writer and reader. I enjoy being on both sides of it, exploring this insane world through a series of strings of words. Clinging to this urge, I'll continue on without taking anything for granted. 

And if I get a break here and there, I'll aim to be more active on this blog. I plan to post about a forthcoming story soon, and as for book three... I'll post again in the new year. 





**I received a beautiful thank you note from http://www.1800runaway.org/, for the donation from the sales of Musical Chairs in September. I plan to donate any royalties from the sales of this book again in January. I'd love for the amount to be higher this time. In fact, this time I will match my royalty sales and donate that amount. If you're interested in buying the book, please purchase it from Amazon, either in Kindle or paperback. If you purchase it from Barnes & Noble or outside of the U.S., notify me here as these sales post later with my publisher so that I know to count the sale toward the total.     

5 comments:

  1. Jen, congratulations on all your achievements. You are right. We should not take what we love for granted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julia, Thank you. It's amazing how lost I felt when I couldn't write. If I were dating writing, he'd probably have a restraining order out on me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol, you're right, Jen, it is a crazy obsession, but I wouldn't be able to live without it! Sorry to hear that the hand/wrist injury is still giving you problems :( definitely one of the worst things that could happen to a writer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen,

    Jen, Stumbled across your note randomly checking the Bennington blogs. Sorry to hear about your hurting hand; no fun at all. I hope work and writing continues along a good path for you. Life is a strange journey.

    Be well,

    Jeff DeLargy Benn 08

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much, Maria!
    Yes, Jeff, the tests never end. :) Thank you, and I wish the same for you!

    ReplyDelete

Chapbook release

"As our children walked in circles, their children shook their heads and made their way toward another life; new ghosts remained. And w...