Sunday, November 4, 2012

Fortune or No

This extra hour is needed right now. In fact, I need an extra day, so if anyone reading this can arrange that please let me know. I am quite behind on my work, grading, etc... because I had a little set back early in the week. But what do I have to complain about?

There are still so many people without power on the East Coast, or who are in need of help. I have donated to the Red Cross, and I do hope that this helps. I am thankful that my family in Holyoke, MA is okay and even managed to avoid losing power (an important thing for a small business that operates mostly online and specializes in videography).

Not much to say here this week.

I've spent most of the week in the house. I've lost four pounds since Monday from being sick to my stomach yet again. But, I've spent a lot of quality time with my dog and cat, and I finished up the week with some gentle yoga, followed by a seriously deep-tissue massage that makes me feel like I have neck again and not just a bunch of knots holding up my head. I worked the corporate job this week from home, I worked at grading, I got three rejections and no acceptances, I read some great work, and still, I should be working because I am so very behind.

The highlight of my week was a dinner with my husband. We had a meal at a Chinese fusion restaurant, where I had veggie sushi and a few pieces of cheese rangoon, and after I did something I normally don't do. I popped the plastic on my fortune cookie wrapping and I snapped the cookie in half. My husband was watching, and he snuck in a cringe, pre-laugh, when he saw what I saw: there was no fortune.

I ate the cookie. Fortune cookies aren't that good. I had forgotten. But the meal was lovely, and I'm thankful for the company.
Fortune or no, I survived another damn hard week, and I'm all the better for it. I'm looking forward to the lights and decadence of the holiday. I think next weekend it's time to decorate for Christmas. Yeah, I said it. So along with the holiday spirit, I plan some more light yoga, some writing, and a good night's sleep every night this week...

You know, now that I think about it, I kind of like that I can write my own fortune. I've always thought I could. And I'd write that I see better things ahead. I'd turn the fortune over and reveal the Chinese fortune cookie word of the day:


Write yourselves a great week as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chapbook release

"As our children walked in circles, their children shook their heads and made their way toward another life; new ghosts remained. And w...