Saturday, September 8, 2012

I think my plumcot is actually an aprium

I'm eating what was sold to me as a plumcot, which is 50% plum and 50% apricot (not to be confused with a pluot, which has a higher percentage of plum), but I believe I am the victim of false advertising and that I'm eating an aprium because it's rather light in color. Either way, it's an interesting crossbreed, and though I'll likely never buy one again because they're expensive, this one is juicy and sweet, and I want it to last, so I'll take tiny bites. I will likely remember my one plumcot/aprium experience, never knowing the ratio of plum to apricot for sure.

Well, this afternoon snuck up on me and I almost skipped a week here; it still feels like morning. My husband is watching the OSU game and we're enjoying the coolest day in San Antonio in what feels like years (months, in actuality). It's 82° and overcast, and it feels like fall. There's football on TV and pumpkin lattes at Starbucks and a slightly grayer sky. I'm not sure what we'll do if it actually gets down to 65° tonight, but whatever it is, it will no doubt require sweaters or blankets and probably some hot beverages.

This is my favorite time of year because I'm energized by it; there's a certain hopefulness that always comes with the transition from summer to fall, even when this change is as subtle as it is in S. Texas. We won't get a lot of changing leaves, nor will we have rational reasons to wear scarves and gloves, but we'll share the collective renewal.

So, in the midst of renewal, here are my immediate goals:

Enjoy the change
Write some short fiction this week
Read a few online literary journals for inspiration
Chose the final story I'll read in New York on 9.21 (see KGB)
Not buy a Pumpkin Spice Latte from Starbucks but be content to know they're there
Finish designing my online creative writing class, which begins in a month
Ignore the negativity of politics, and just know I'm doing my part by voting in November

Now, if you'll excuse me, I need to clean my keyboard because my plumcot/aprium is getting my fingers sticky and was not designed to be consumed while one writes blogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chapbook release

"As our children walked in circles, their children shook their heads and made their way toward another life; new ghosts remained. And w...