Thursday, October 3, 2013

On puppies

Ahti, 4 months
Last weekend my husband and I went to the Humane Society for the second time to look at a Black Mouth Cur mix named Jo.

In a matter of hours, we'd renamed her Ahti due to her love of water and signed paperwork declaring ourselves her people.

I'm learning a lot as a puppy mom. For instance, puppies are nothing like adult dogs (my buddy was 3 when we adopted him). Puppies adopt good habits and bad habits equally fast. Puppies can learn to shake and sit for treats in less than two days (is there a doggie Mensa?). Meanwhile, when an owner is not looking, puppies eat walls and shoes and destroy carpets. Training treats are the best things in the world. Puppies need to be led on walks or they will walk in circles. Puppies roll around in grass to acquire an older dog's scent, which means puppies roll around in areas where they smell older dogs, which means puppies roll around in older dog urine. It was cute till I found out why. Finally, air conditioning units can be like giant monsters to a puppy, so instead of thinking she's clumsy, look around at what could possibly be scaring her.

So far, so good. I rather love her.

One bit of news in writing to share: The amazing people at The Burrow Press Review nominated "The Suit" for Sundress Publication’s Best of the Net Anthology. We'll see what happens, but I'm super honored just to be nominated for inclusion. I love that story, so I'm glad it's getting the chance. Read it again or for the first time here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chapbook release

"As our children walked in circles, their children shook their heads and made their way toward another life; new ghosts remained. And w...