Friday, April 18, 2014

Time

“It's enough for me to be sure that you and I exist at this moment.” 
― Gabriel Garcí­a MárquezOne Hundred Years of Solitude
(1927-2014)


There is nothing more precious than time. When someone influential passes, I am reminded of this. We can't waste our time because it moves faster than we feel.

I often take inventory of my time. I  long for more, cherish what I have. And one of the most vibrant ways I can imagine spending my time is writing, creating worlds in which I can explore truths too strong to be heard without story. Marquez utilized his time in this way, transforming worlds and adding magic to the pain of existence. He made a mark, and now he is all magic. May he rest in peace. 


Timing is always interesting in my life and rarely ideal. It's bartered, and often traded for money and debt relief. It is either priority or sacrifice, when it comes to my love: writing. I recently took on a new job, and though I haven't been able to fully transition yet, no more than a week after accepting the offer, I got the notice that I was accepted to a writing residency that would have been much easier to accept if I were to have stayed in my previous position. 

I'm going to borrow someone's optimism here and think it will work out. All I can do is ask. Whatever happens, I am determined to honor my time, to treat it with more respect.

In writing news, I had a re-publication recently, in Workers Write! More Tales from the Cubicle, which is available on Kindle. I have stories forthcoming from Midway Journal and Metazen, and that is all I have on the roster for now. In other words, I have to write! Here's to it! 

Have a wonderful weekend. Enjoy your Easter and celebrate your lives. 

Jen  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chapbook release

"As our children walked in circles, their children shook their heads and made their way toward another life; new ghosts remained. And w...