Monday, January 12, 2015

A restful prompt

The first week back to a cubicle job, after quite a few days off for holidays, is rough. I ended up making it to the weekend (almost) and then wanting nothing more than to collapse. I've been doing some freelance work that ended up taking most of my free time, however, so my resting time was cut a bit short. Then I realized I was late for yoga. Even though I find my work stimulating and teaching/freelancing gratifying, I realized how much I was craving rest when, after a yoga class, I sat down on the couch to read and fell from conscious reality fast.  I woke dazed and relieved.

My non-stop pattern of work has been recurrent in my life. As a writer, I have always wanted to do and try everything, at least once, so I can't say no for fear of missing out on knowing just what this or that would be like. What ends up happening, however, is that my schedule becomes so tight I barely leave room for air.

I love being busy, but it also comes with real challenges. First, everyone needs rest. Second, every writer needs to write. Otherwise, we go rather batty. To put it nicely. In the past, when I haven't listened to my body's pleas for rest, it has slowed me down with force - either illness or injury - and I thought this would make an interesting prompt.

Write about a person who is going non-stop, maybe a corporate Type A or a Type B with delusions of grandeur (or, ahem, both). Start with this person in the middle of his/her work routine, then bam! Slow this person down. How does the character change? This is a simple plot, but it has potential to be quite dynamic. 

Have a great week, everyone! Don't forget to breathe. xo Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chapbook release

"As our children walked in circles, their children shook their heads and made their way toward another life; new ghosts remained. And w...