Wednesday, June 10, 2015

And the bloopers continue

My backdoor window was tough to break the other night, but break it I did. I could have made the bloopers reel for America's worst criminals--trying first with a wrench, then a flowerpot, before finally finding a hammer in my husband's Jeep. Thing is, I had just come off twelve hours of travel, after three plane delays, and I was exhausted, so when I realized that I'd left my door key at the hotel in Boston, I just wanted to cry and curl up in the crook of the tree out back. But, the allure of my sad pup and a cold glass of water lured me to break into my apartment at Midnight. I scared the shit out of my previously sad pup and mended my door with a bunch of packing tape and cardboard until the glass was replaced.

Backtracking a tad, I was in Boston over the weekend. I read from After the Gazebo twice in two days, first in Somerville, at the then in Newton Upper Falls. Driving in Boston was interesting (though I didn't so much drive as navigate) and food was fantastic. The weather was perfect, and I got to walk along the ocean for a few hours. This view (below) was two blocks from our strange little hotel at Crystal Cove.


The readings themselves went well, and I enjoyed hanging out with JP Reese, meeting Gloria Mindock, Ralph Pennel, Tim Suermondt, and Robin Stratton to name a few. The whole trip was great fun, and I took dorky pics like this one to remember it by (he's the one that wanted the pic).


In writing news, I was reviewed favorably by Kirkus, which I hear is no easy feat, especially not for a woman who poses with pirates before eating her first lobster roll in Boston before locking herself out of her apartment before trying to break-in to said apartment with a flowerpot before cleaning up glass for an hour and apologizing with her dog to the backdrop of the infomercial left on by her husband who, no less than three hours before that, got on a plane to Europe.

So anyway.... if interested, you can read the review here. And if you're a Kindle fan, it's available there now too.

So... here's the (not quite weekly, perhaps monthly) prompt:

Write about travel plans that go awry. Make your character super reactive and upset by the thing. Flip his or her world upside-down before reminding the reader that it was just a rough trip home. This one should be fun. Set a timer and write for 10 minutes. Go!

Hope you have a wonderful week! xo Jen  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Chapbook release

"As our children walked in circles, their children shook their heads and made their way toward another life; new ghosts remained. And w...