Saturday, May 30, 2015

Pause

“To be everywhere is to be nowhere.” - Seneca
This is how I feel sometimes, and I know I'm not alone. To work on various projects and keep up with everyone I love and like and to continue to exercise and keep up with chores... it's all quite wonderful but exhausting.

It seems that for a long time things just weren't working out for me. I was robbed, I kept getting sick, my doggie best friend died around my birthday, and I felt truly numb a lot of the time. During these few years, I reflected quite a bit on my situation.

This year has been, so far, quite the opposite. I am pursuing my dreams, I have been healthy and have felt secure. My animals are healthy and super happy, and my writing seems to be gaining some recognition.

But although I am incredibly happy to announce that this week alone I found out I am shortlisted for the Dundee International Book Prize (might get to go to Scotland!!!!), that I will be launching my short story collection Sunday, and that my new job at Gemini Ink is going well (although I have A LOT to learn), I realize I haven't taken any time out to sit and appreciate everything.

I think it is when things are going exceedingly well that we sometimes forget to pay attention. So that is what I'll be doing this weekend. I have chores, etc... sure, but it's time to concentrate on what's happening and truly enjoy. So, for the rest of the weekend, this is my one focus. If you live nearby and come out to The Twig Book Shop, I look forward to meeting/seeing you. I plan to be wholly present and to soak up every moment.

I hope you are able to take a few moments to reflect and focus on your own creative and positive doings this weekend as well. No homework today, but a new prompt is coming. :)

xo Jen



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Chapbook release

"As our children walked in circles, their children shook their heads and made their way toward another life; new ghosts remained. And w...